Bonar Bridge lies opposite the village of Ardgay, between the Kyle of Sutherland
and the head of the Dornoch Firth.
Originally just "Bonar", the village has always been an important crossing point for people heading north
of the Dornoch Firth. It became "Bonar Bridge" in 1812 with the completion of Thomas Telford's iron bridge.
This bridge has since been replaced twice, and more information on the three bridges of Bonar can be found on
Like Ardgay, the main A9 trunk road used to run through the centre of the village until the opening of
the Dornoch Firth bridge some distance to the east removed much of the through traffic. However the village
still remains one of the principal road junctions in Sutherland with routes heading east to
Dornoch, north to Lairg and south to
Ardgay and Ross-shire.
The village has its own golf club with a nine-hole course and it also makes an ideal base for a sporting
holiday with many opportunities locally for salmon & trout fishing and for shooting.
There is a full range of accommodation available with hotels, guest houses and bed & breakfasts in
the village and surrounding area. The community still has its own bank, post office, library
and primary school as well as a number of local shops.